Lula Loves

Lula Loves

Thursday 4 August 2011

I like to ride my bicycle

Until recently, I hadn't been on a bike since my honeymoon, when Big G and I rented bikes to scoot around Mauritius. But now 7-year-old son has become quite a proficient little cyclist, I've decided to get in on the act, and, thanks to Tesco Clubcard points, have become the proud owner of a 'ladies' mountain bike. Quite why anything preceded by the word 'ladies' has to be emblazoned with pink flowers, I don't really know, but thankfully the lurid logo adorning my bike could be removed with the aid of a sharp fingernail. Now my bike is style personifed, in a no-brand, lo-fi kind of way. Well, for £80 quid one can't complain.

I've taken to this cycling lark like the proverbial fish to water. The fact that Bristol is England's first 'Cycling City' is just an added bonus. You couldn't want for a better variety of cycling routes, and if you've got kids in tow there are plenty suitable for little legs. So, if like me you're new to cycling and you want to give it a go with your family - and you live in Bristol - may I suggest you try either of these routes:

1. Avon Gorge tow-path to Pill, round trip

This is a lovely little route, just long enough for children and with a good stopping place for snacks or a picnic on the green just before you get to Pill harbour. The terrain is nice and flat pretty much all of the way, and you pass through some really tranquil countryside. On your way back, you could continue on the railway track towards the harbour and stop at the docks for coffee or a stroll around the M Shed.

2. Shirehampton to Portishead

We like to catch the local train from Redland Station to Shirehampton - just a couple of stops but the boys never fail to be excited by a train trip. Then, turn left and down the hill from the station and you'll see signs for the cycle path. Then it gets a bit weird as you then have to ride across the Avonmouth Bridge, alongside the M5. There's a massive great barrier between you and the motorway - don't worry! - but it still feels a tad unnerving to be riding so close to all that traffic. Kids love it, though.

It all calms down from there on in, and you end up approaching Portishead via the new development around the Marina. There's a lock you can cross but be prepared - especially if you have boys - to have to hang around and watch it fill with water if it's opening to let traffic through (actually, it is quite an interesting sight, I have to admit!)

You can then cycle on towards the lake ground, perfect for a pit stop and a play. There's also a nice pub en route. Et voila, a perfect, low-cost day out en famille.

If I decide to dump the Clubcard 80-quid Special, I wouldn't say no to the Lazy Susan, a cool retro-style bike by Charge...check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment